Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Argggg

I've been working on a paper for my Technical Writing class for the past few days. It's kind of a fun project, but I'm getting a little tired of the tedium. I've got most of the content down, so now I'm going back to make sure that I meet all the requirements. And I'm stumped. Here's the requirements for the Front matter: (remember, this is a technical writing class)


So, for the four pages, this is what I think it wants me to do:

































CountNumberList in TOC
Title PageiNoNo
LetteriiNoYes
TOCiiiYesNo
PrefaceivYesYes
The one I don't understand is the Letter... why do I not number it, but list it in the Table of Contents?

Argg.... English majors... :)

6 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

The technical writing crowd are not of the same breed as most English folk. In fact, we like to all be grouped separately as a general rule as to eliminate character assumptions and stereotypes: technical writers, creative writers, editors, and literary studies.

As for your teacher: I would expect that a technical writer would have an excellent grasp at communicating instructions, however his/her unclear grammar and sentence structure allows for too many questionable incidents where multiple possibilities are left for interpretation.

After analyzing several poorly-used commas, I came up with the same answer as you though, so good luck.

Lacking Productivity said...

Forgive me...crowd "IS." I changed my wording and then failed to proof read. ;D On that note, I belong to the literary studies crowd...not the editors.

More Bacon said...

Wow...your class sounds super lame, Matt. :)

Miri said...

I have made a discovery tonight, and it is that I don't read your blog often enough. So mostly I'm commenting on this post to tell you that I will be commenting on your previous posts, because I don't know if you get the emails like I do.

However, in reference to this post I would just like to say that few English majors have ever been required to work with such ridiculous/horrible guidelines. That's what you get for being one of those math/science/computery type people.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Miri. Yes, I get emails for all comments made. Go crazy :)

And I knew it! The darn English teacher thinks that she has to act all engineerish to teach engineers -- but she missed the point. Glad you didn't have to suffer through such assignment requests (though I don't at all envy the volume of papers you guys write)

Jenna Kae said...

matt haggard! it has been forever. i would like to say, i very much enjoy your blog. and i'm glad you found mine, though i'm afraid it's not as interesting as yours by a long shot. how are things going?