Sunday, October 25, 2009

67th Post

My mom rarely paints her nails -- she "doesn't like the suffocating feeling." It therefore follows that my mom rarely removes paint from her nails.

With my mom's help, I dressed up as Frankenstein for my orchestra concert last Tuesday (or rather, to satisfy the prescriptivists, I dressed as The Modern Prometheus). I had the bolts, the dark hair, the dead-looking flesh and blackened nails -- only the fingers; I neglected painting the toes since I'd be wearing shoes.

To complete my getup, I bought a nice suit from D.I. (parenthetically, how does one punctuate the end of a sentence in which the last word ends with the mark you intend to use? It feels a little silly to write it again. People might read it like they're descending a flight of seven stairs expecting six) . The suit fit right about my waist, and fit most of my legs nicely as well. See for yourself:


I enjoyed the concert -- we played some fun "scary" songs:

  • Danse Macabre - listen to this one if you have time for only one song.
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice - but in real life... not cartooned.
  • Baba Yaga something something - the conductor on this video is funny, though I wouldn't enjoy playing for him. He hasn't always a very pronounced ictus.
  • Pumpkin Eater's Fugue - can't find a recording,
  • and Noon Witch Overture - it's okay... not my favorite.
And I scared some kids.

Finally at home I unscrewed the bolt from my neck, showered out the darkness from my hair, cleaned the deadness from my face and asked my mom to help me remove the blackness from my fingers' nails. She pulled out the bottle of remover (that she probably bought when she was four years old and hadn't used in a decade) and only managed restoring six nails to life before running out. So I went to work on Wednesday as an emo kid. Without the goofy hair.

Contemplative Frank:


Drum-playing Frank with fellow drummers:

9 comments:

martha said...

oh my gosh, that costume is BRILLIANT.

A+++

Lacking Productivity said...

Few things thrill me more than a well organized and executed costume. Your ensemble was fantastic, and well worth the lingering polish.

Barbaloot said...

But how come you didn't dress like that for church yesterday?

Surf Paparazzi said...

Coolest Frankenstein EVER!

Stephen said...

I played Danse Macabre in high school! It is a really fun one. And nice job on the costume.

Magoo said...

Matt, you are the man, er. . . stein. And to answer your question about the punctuation, I don't know. But I have had the same question. How should you punctuate this sentence: "I live in the U.S." or is it "I live in the U.S.." It looks like you aren't quite sure which United States you live in (which is a legitimate concern in North America).

Anyways, it appears you do post. Looks like my problem:)

Becky Green said...

ha.. very nice matt. you look so legit.

Mandy and Brian said...

It was a great concert, and you looked great too. I'm glad I was able to go!

Mandy and Brian said...

p.s. I believe you don't need to put the period twice. But then again, I also think it is not wrong to say the Jazz is.....